Theater of War Mission Pack: Case Blue
Mission: Retreat at the Don
Difficulty Level: General
Commander: You don’t need one, but any commander with mortar halftrack call-in or Riegel mine-laying should be useful.
You start out owning all three VPs and 11 minutes is roughly the time needed for dropping the Russian point total from 500 to 0 while holding all the VPs.
You start with two grens and a pioneer squad. The VPs are close to each other in a triangle arrangement in the upper left quadrant of the map, all on the left bank of a frozen river. Here’s what you do:
- Send the grens to guard the right VP. They may immediately tangle with (and if so, should be able to rout) Russian engineers trying to take the territory point next to the VP, on the river bank. Note that this riverbank TP is much less important than the VP itself. Upgrade the grens with LMGs (requires battle phase 1) when you can. Keep them back at the southern end of the VP where they are less exposed to sudden enemy attacks from out of the fog of war.
- Bring in an HMG and put it in the house at the upper left VP. Face it north initially.
- Use your starting pio squad to crew the artillery gun at the base. The gun should immediately shell the river to the right of the TP beside the right VP.
- Using grens, build a bunker-HMG below the right VP to cover the northern (road) and eastern (river) approaches to the that VP.
- Reinforce your pios, crew the Pak, and send the Pak to cover the right VP from below it, with the grens.
- Use one of the grens to build a bunker-HMG, facing north, on the rail tracks just below the path between the two upper VPs.
- Having reinforced your pios at your base, send them to the lower left VP to build a bunker-HMG guarding that VP.
- The pios at the lower left VP, once they have finished building the bunker there, should retreat to base and build the tech building for Paks and 251s.
- Bring in a 251 for reinforcing/holding troops at the right VP.
- Bring in another Pak for the right VP, a Pak to guard your base, a mortar halftrack for the right VP area if you can, and lastly an HMG to cover the southern flank of the right VP (if you have the manpower points to spare).
- Around the five minute mark, the Russians will start hitting the right VP from all sides including from the south (path/river/bridge). The attacks probably will include 2-3 T-70s. Use your Pak and grenadiers’ panzerfausts as well as you can. Damaging a T-70 so that it has to withdraw is virtually as good as a kill here.
- Around the 8 minute mark, a T-34 will attack, usually at the right VP, often from the E or S. Be ready with a Pak or two, and be ready to reinforce the crews. The T-34 at close range (and in this game, it’s always at extremely close range) will decrew your crewed weapons almost automatically.
- Around the 10 minute mark the Russians will bring in a KV-8 (flamethrower tank), again usually to attack the right VP, and that will hurt, but your two Paks (especially if reinforced) should kill it before long. Against a KV-8, when it is using its flamethrower rather than armor-piercing shells, you can just put your infantry squads into your 251 and park it in the VP to prevent the Russians from capping it. Anyway the Russian points should run to zero before they can capture two VPs.
[updated 15 May 2021]