This defense-against-raids mission is a good one for Dog, Able, or whatever is your weakest company. The object is to erect hasty defenses and hold three points against waves of attacks by German infantry and armor. The Germans have no artillery or air power.
A simple strategy that works is to get, asap, at least two HMGs (independent crews or upgraded firing positions) and two AT guns at the church and crossroads points, and one AT gun and two HMGs at the railway station. Each point should have an RE squad for making tank traps (TTs) and building/repairing FPs. One or two powerful infantry squads such as a Lt. squad, or riflemen with BAR, can move around to the points where they are needed most—most attack waves hit only one or two points, not all three simultaneously. The building beside the crossroads position, and the building on the USF side of the rail station point, are good for HMGs.
- You don’t need armor.
- If you use Dog. Co. you are usually provided with a mortar team. These are useful for wiping pinned German squads and for hitting the German squad cars that jam your communications (see below), but you normally don’t need more than one. It can be positioned, for example, between the rail station and crossroads positions to cover attacks on either one.
- Early on, lay wire to block German infiltration through a small gap in a ruined building 10-20m to the left of the railyard position, and to block German units coming up steps just above and to the right of the railyard position.
- Lay TTs, most urgently at the front of the rail station but also at the other two positions, to protect your HMGs/FPs from tank rushes up the middle that you otherwise can’t stop.
- When “jammer” scout cars have blocked your radio comms, use cheap units such as RE squads to run out and spot the cars and artillery or mortars to kill the cars.
- The Germans often infiltrate a squad or two (Sturmpios?) from the bottom/right of the map around your base. If you can spare an RE squad you can wire off the infiltration paths, but it’s easier just to keep a couple of decent infantry squads at the crossroads position to kill that German squad when it shows (HMG in nearby building also helps).
- You often start with several rifleman units and an assault engineer squad. These provide less value for their pop-cap cost than REs, so order most/all of them off the map as soon as you can spare them. Use REs to man HMGs and AT guns.
- Gold condition is fuzzy but relates to keeping Germans from capping any of the three points you’re defending—which is easy.
- Usually you fight this at difficulty level two. At higher levels you start with a bit less and also face more armor and elite infantry; playing recently level 4 I had to build six AT guns.